Back when I first described the growth rate experiment I'm working on now, I described how I was hoping to see growth rate level off so you could predict how long your greens needed to grow before reaching optimum harvest-ablity. Only half way through data collection and I am started to see that happening!
Growth rate hasn't slowed down in some species, but it seems to be slowing in the green romaine variety we're using called 'Defender.' The graph below shows leaf length and harvest weight over a period of about two weeks. The last time I collected data was April 26th. Neither the leaf length of harvest weight had increased much since the last time I collected data (three days earlier). Tomorrow I'll see if this trend continues.